This was what Nadine looked like when I met her almost 3 years ago.
She lived in a remote village in Haiti.
Excluded.
Set aside.
Hurting.
This was Nadine last spring. After months and month (and months) of work by my friend, Ginny, she was brought to the states to live with a family in Columbus to receive treatment for the multiple cysts in her abdomen.
It's a story I've loved to share. How kind, godly people are showing this sweet young lady the love of God in a tangible way.
This was Nadine just a few weeks ago, learning the joy of bubble wrap :)
We have prayed every day for Nadine for over a year.
Prayed for healing.
Prayed for a happy ending.
Prayed for a story that will show God's power to change lives.
After Nadine had many medical procedures (the cysts were gone! She could wear the frilly dresses she loved!), the doctors found other
issues with her blood pressure, and even some problems in her brain.
Dear, sweet, funny, energetic, giggly Nadine passed away yesterday, after suffering several strokes and being placed on a ventilator. Her biological parents were able to see her via Skype and her host family hugged and kissed this beautiful 14 year-old goodbye.
God, this is not the ending I wanted.
I wanted that happy ending, that return to the village for Nadine, so all of her family and neighbors could see your power.
But over the last few days as we have been grieving, God has shown me that Nadine IS healed now. She is in heaven with a beautiful, pain-free body. She can keep dancing and singing and laughing (things she loved). And while most of her life was filled with pain and rejection, this past year has been OVERFLOWING with love. Nadine's host family was the most amazing, generous, loving family you can imagine. Within days of living there, she was a part of their family. Also, their entire church family embraced her and loved on her.
And so, while we are heartbroken and left with such sadness, we are thankful. God did show His power in a tangible way:
To Nadine. He showed her how much she was loved here on this earth, simply because she is His child.
To Us. Healing doesn't always look like what you expect it to look like. But God DID change lives--many lives--through Nadine. I will always be thankful for the opportunity to have been a part of this girl's life.
Thank you, God, for Nadine's life. For her laughter and love of life. For her smile that could light up a room. For her child-like faith. Thank you for her host family, the Tatas. They have been an inspiration to so many through their love, sacrifice, devotion, and obedience. Thank you, God, that we are made for so much more than this world.


2 comments:
I'm so sorry Beth. I know that she was very precious to your family.
This makes me so sad. I'm so thankful she is in heaven and healed.
Post a Comment