Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Back on Track

Okay, so last week's new food was a total fail.  I bought jicama, and had a couple of different ideas what to do with it.  And then I waited too long and the jicama tasted funky, so I didn't make anything with it.  But I had already bought Napa cabbage to make a jicama slaw with, so I already had this week's new food:  Napa Cabbage!

I ended up making a slaw with it, and it is super yummy.  It reminds me of the Oriental Salad everyone makes with broken up Ramen noodles and sesame seeds.  It is basically chopped up cabbage, green onions (I used a small yellow onion), and cilantro.  For the record, I love anything with cilantro.  Cilantro for me is like bacon:  it makes everything better.  The dressing is vegetable oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar.  Then you top it off with toasted slivered almonds.  I had cashews, and they worked just the same.

So, it was all good in the end, and although I missed a week, and some jicama, I found a new side dish that is worth repeating.

No comments: