Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Psalm 15

LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman, who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the LORD, who keeps his oath even when it hurts, who lends his money without usury and does not accept a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things will never be shaken.

Wow. Talk about a wake-up call. David gives me a list of what my life should look like if I am truly living for God. And if I am honest, I don’t measure up most of the time.

Do I live a blameless life day after day?

When given a choice, do I choose God’s path?

Is my speech truthful, from the heart, uplifting to all, and honoring God?

Ouch!

Do I keep my promises, even when if hurts?

Am I giving to others in need?

It is so easy to be persuaded by the world around us to believe that our lives should be comfortable. But the characteristics David describes don’t sound comfortable to me. They sound challenging. They sound like I have to choose God over my selfish desires on a daily basis. Am I doing that? If so, David says in verse 5: He who does these things will never be shaken.
Why? Because our foundation is on a God who is eternal, all-powerful, and never changing instead of having a material, worldly foundation that will fail us.

People will let you down.

Things will let you down.

You will let yourself down.

HE will NEVER let you down.

Thank you, God, for always being on our side and for never letting us down.

No comments: