I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears. The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it.
He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under his feet. He mounted the cherubim and flew; he soared on the wings of the wind. He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him—the dark rain clouds of the sky, Out of the brightness of his presence clouds advanced, with hailstones and bolts of lightning. The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot his arrows and scattered the enemies, great bolts of lightning and routed them. The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare at your rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of breath from your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LROD was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.
I have a hard time comprehending what it was like to be David, having to run for your life from King Saul numerous times. However, I also need to realize that here in this life I am surrounded by spiritual danger that God protects me from on a daily basis, and I should be thankful every day that He is my refuge and my shield, as it says at the beginning of this psalm. He is always there listening to me.
It is easy to forget all that we have been saved from when Jesus took our place on the cross, especially for those of us who have been in church since we were children. But the imagery in this psalm: cords of death entangled me. . . torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. . . cords of the grave coiled around me. . . the snares of death confronted me remind me of how trapped in sin and completely helpless we are without the grace of God.
Thankfully, From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears. And what follows is an amazing picture of God coming to our rescue, shaking the foundations of earth, causing storms, smoke, hail, and just about every other force of nature we can think of. It’s also pretty prophetic of Jesus coming to earth, the first time, and when He comes again to finally rescue us from this world.
When Jesus shows up, things are never the same.
What an amazing God I have who hears me when I call and moves the heavens and earth to save me. He loves me that much.
He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LROD was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; God reaches down and pulls us out of the sin we are in.
No sin is so small that we can overcome it alone.
No sin is so great that God cannot handle it.
And why does He do this? he rescued me because he delighted in me. God delighted in me! Even when I am full of sin and am drowning in a sea of helplessness, God looks and sees the child He formed, the child He knows is His, and the child He wants in His arms.
Thank you, God, for loving me. For saving me. For delighting in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment