Monday, August 27, 2012

Settling in

Well, after a whirlwind of packing and sorting, unpacking and resorting, cleaning, cleaning, and um. . . . cleaning(!) we are settling in to our new house.

*Sidenote:  If this were a really good blog, there would be pictures right now of our new house, but since I can't find the cord to hook the camera's memory card in, that is not happening.  However, I HAVE taken pictures, so it's a small step in the right direction.

So far, we are really liking our new place and the area.  I am kind of going through Meijer withdrawels, since it's now a 20 minute drive there instead of a 90 second drive.  But we are all adjusting.  Being out in the country is so nice and peaceful.  I went for my first run on Saturday, and it was beautiful (the scenery, not the run--THAT was ugly).  Our neighbors are really nice, and the kids have even made some friends.

I was curious how Noel and Elise would feel about leaving the only house they knew, but surprisingly, they didn't really care.  They were so excited about having new rooms right across from each other and getting to ride on  lawn tractor that nothing else mattered.  The third or fourth night we were here, Noel shuffles over to me and says, "I like our new house.  I really do."  And that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I am trying to make every moment count with my children, and through this move one of my goals was to teach that stuff is just stuff.  We have some of it (too much, honestly), but we can't hang on to it too tightly.  It doesn't matter in the end.

I'm also settling in to my new "work" opportunities.  On Thursday I tutor in the mornings at The Crossing, which is an alternative school for high school students looking to get their diploma.  It has been such a great experience so far.  Most of it involves one-on-one work with students who are taking classes through a computer-based program.  There are lots of different reasons a student is at The Crossing, but almost all of them have realized in some way that education is essential, and so getting through their classes takes on a whole new meaning.  I especially enjoy the "family time" they have in the middle of classes, where we sit and have some great discussions about life, God, goals, struggles, and triumphs.  I feel blessed to be a part of it.

I've been reading through Genesis these past few weeks, and every time I do I take something different away.  This morning I read about how God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his son, and because he was willing to do it, God blessed him.  To be honest, I still can't really explain this passage, but it does convict me to make sure that everything---everything is second in  comparison to God.  I think about how 6 years ago I left the only career I knew, teaching, to stay home with my kids.  It was really hard for me, but I knew that for us it was the right decision.  And now I see so many blessings that have come from me giving up my comfort for the unknown.  If I hadn't done that, I would not be a part of The Crossing or Bridges.  I wouldn't have had these amazing times with my children.  Has it all been good?  Of course not.  But has it been worth it? Yes.

I don't know what God has asked you to give up or give over, and I can't begin to say I understand, because each of us is unique, but I do know that the times I do surrender are the times God uses me the most.

May God find ways to use each of us today.

No comments: