Thursday, October 04, 2012

Turning 6

Dear Noel,

It takes you two hands to show people how old you are now.  That makes me take a big gulp.  Those nights when you wouldn't sleep seemed like an eternity.  But now, I feel like I blinked and you're all grown up.

You are quirky and funny.  Sometimes this makes us crazy, but usually it makes us laugh.

You love to figure out how things work.  You study something and look at details most people wouldn't even notice.  It never ceases to amaze me.

You are becoming more and more independent, but still want a hug and kiss from me when I drop you off at kindergarten.  Let's keep it that way for a while.

You love your little sister, and she adores you.  When you two go somewhere alone, it practically melts my heart when I see you take her hand or make sure she's right next to you.  I am not naive enough to believe you won't have some knock-down drag-outs as you grow, but I hope you will always find comfort and solace in each other.

You are constant energy.  Filled with questions.  Concerned about fairness.  Learning about the world.

I am so privileged to be your mom.   It's overwhelming at times to know that I have such an influence on you.  I pray that God will use me to show You the right way.

I hear a lot of people say they want their kids to be happy, and I do want you to be happy.  But more than happy, I want you to be holy.  I want you to be a follower of God and know the plans He has for you.  To understand that what we do here on earth makes a difference, and that loving others, although not always easy, is what we have been called to do.

Thank you for being my son.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Jen said...

This is so sweet! Where is the "like" button?

Happy 6th Birthday, Noel!