Friday, August 28, 2009

Psalm 11

Psalm 11

In the LORD I take refuge. How then can you say to me: “Flee like a bird to your mountain. For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart. When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?” The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne. He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them. The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates. On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur; a scorching wind will be their lot. For the LORD is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face.


I will admit, several of the psalms I have been reading have convicted me. I need to walk with God every day. I need to delight in His law. I need to declare how great He is every chance I can get. I need to thank Him for answered prayer.

But this psalm struck me differently today. Instead of feeling convicted, I feel a great peace when I read this psalm. Yet again, this psalm is incredibly relevant even today, thousands of years after it was written. The people around David are asking him, “What are we going to do? It seems like everyone around us is out to get those who honor God!”

When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?

I think a lot of believers are asking themselves that in today’s world. We live in a world where truth is relative now. Whatever YOU think is true must be true. Josh McDowell describes is as this great switch: It used to be: It’s true, so it works. Now society’s thought is: If it works, it must be true. With no absolute truth, our foundations are indeed crumbling. What are we to do?

Trust.

Trust.

Trust.

The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne. He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them.

God is still in control. We might think we have control, but that is an illusion. Nothing gets past God. He sees everything and knows everything. There are times for us to be vocal and defend our faith, and there are times for us to stand up against something. But ultimately, we must surrender that God is in control of this world, and He will take care of it. All wrongs will be made right. The wicked will see their judgment. Those who have served God will see His face. But we must trust.

No comments: