Monday, August 17, 2009

Psalm 4

Psalm 4
Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call to him. In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer right sacrifices and trust in the LORD. Many are asking, “Who can show us any good?” Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD make me dwell in safety.

Who doesn’t want to be heard? I think it’s one of our deepest needs in life—for someone to hear you. Some of my biggest frustrations have come from when I feel like nobody is listening to me, whether it’s a student, a friend, a co-worker, or my two year-old son. We all desire to be heard.

The LORD will hear when I call to him.

When I’m hurt, or angry, or scared, or stressed, where do I turn? David reminds us here in Psalm 4 that God is the One we should turn to. How long is it going to take for me to figure that out?! We as believers have been set apart by God for Himself. He promises to hear us when we call. And yet I usually find myself turning to God when all my other resources have failed me.

Many are asking, “Who can show us any good?”

We look around and ask, “Why Is this world falling apart?” Sometimes it seems hopeless when you look at what we are surrounded by in our culture. But where are we looking for help? Ourselves? Others? The government?

Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.

It is only when we look to God and ask Him for help that true relief can come. We have been told by our society that happiness comes from material things: if only my house were bigger, if only we could take that vacation, if only my job paid a little more. But the joy God offers is greater than anything this world has to offer. One of my favorite Caedmon’s Call songs has the line, “This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need.”

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD make me dwell in safety.

I must learn to rest in God’s strength instead of my own. If I surrender to Him, He offers peace, security, and safety. May we turn to You, God, who listens when we call and fills us with a joy that cannot be equaled.

No comments: