Psalm 3
O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.” But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.
This psalm was written by David right after he escaped from Absalom. I went and reread this passage of the Bible (2 Samuel 15) to get a better perspective. I cannot imagine being in the situation David was in. One of his sons was trying to overthrow his throne, forcing David to run for his life. How would I feel if one of my own children led a revolt against me?
In smaller ways, I’m sure we all have felt as David does in this psalm—that everyone is against us. One of the coolest things about the Psalms is that there is every emotion you can think of present in at least one psalm. This one begins with what I would call despair. It is comforting to know that God is okay with me expressing all of my feelings to Him. If I’m sad, or feel defeated, or even if I’m angry, God will listen.
But it doesn’t stop there. Instead of continuing to question and cry about his situation, David turns his focus to the One who can get him out of this terrible situation.
But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. I have to always remember that no matter what the situation, I am never alone. I love the imagery of God reaching down, cupping my face, and lifting it up to see Him. It’s so easy to get caught up in the day to day struggles of life. What a relief when we look up and see God saying, “I’m in control. Relax.”
And because of this, I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. There is no reason to fear the things of this world. God will take care of them. He might even break their teeth, as David suggests—How painful would that be?
I need to remember that God is my deliverer, not me, in hard times. Fighting battles on my own can only result in one thing—eventual failure. May I surrender my battles to God and let Him be my shield.
No comments:
Post a Comment