Psalm 2
Why do the nations conspire and the people plot in vain? The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One. “Let us break their chains,” they say, “and throw off their fetters.” The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the LORD scoffs at them. Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying, “I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill.” I will proclaim the decree of the LORD: He said to me, “You are my Son; today I have become your Father. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession. You will rule them with an iron scepter; you will dash them to pieces like pottery.” Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment, Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
The beginning of this psalm makes me think of our society right now. It seems as if our society is trying to do anything and everything that goes against what Jesus desires for us. “Truth” keeps changing as people decide what is ‘right’ and ‘wrong’. David and I were talking about this last night. We just read an interview with Brad Pitt. When they asked about why he isn’t married to Angeline Jolie, he said that they won’t get married until “everyone can be legally married”. It’s so interesting to me how over the years we as a society decide what’s right & wrong instead of looking to God for our truth.
It goes back to Psalm 1 that talks about delighting in God’s law. We keep “breaking the chains” of what is acceptable, leading us down a slippery slope away from what God desires for us.
And what is God’s response to this? The One enthroned in heaven laughs. Laughing? What’s so funny? I can picture God looking at all of us scrambling around, trying to make our own truths, our own meaning to life. God must be laughing because we are so idiotic to think we can be our own rulers (truth-makers). It can be compared to when we as adults watch children play a game where they make their own rules. They keep changing the ruler so they can have a bigger advantage, and it all seems pretty comical to us. And yet we think as humans we can change what God, the Almighty Creator, has set into place.
Soon, however, that laughter will turn into consequences for those who do not acknowledge Him.
I think verses 8-12 should be given to every leader in the church, in politics, in any situation. If we follow the lead of God, we will receive blessings beyond measure. They might not be the material blessings we are thinking of, but they will be what God knows is best for us. Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling. We have no excuse now that we know. We tend to forget that God is loving and compassionate. But we also forget at times the mighty power of God. I am owed nothing—NOTHING, and yet I find ways to complain about pretty much everything. I need to wake up every morning and “kiss the Son” as verse 12 says, meaning to bow in submission. This day is Yours; I am just Your vessal.
No comments:
Post a Comment