Friday, April 15, 2011
5 Minute Friday
(The goal of "5 Minute Friday" is to freewrite on a given topic for 5 minutes. No editing or going back. Just write and share. You can read more about 5 Minute Friday here.)
On Distance
When I think about the word "distance" a few different thoughts come to mind.
First off, I have been training for my first (and maybe only) half-marathon. This weekend will be the first time I attempt to run double digits. That's right, 10 miles. I never thought I would even consider that being a possibility, but I have learned that running is as much mental as it is physical. If you can push yourself, you can do it. It has been a real learning experience for me. Plus, it gives me time to just be completely alone with my thoughts. I'm not sure if I'll keep running this far once the half-marathon is over, but I am so glad I have done this.
Secondly, I think about those I love who are far away. I have friends who are all over the country and all over the world. Thanks to the internet, we can still keep in touch, but it's never the same. Never the same. But I am OH SO THANKFUL for those few friends who bridge any distance (time, miles, age) and can truly be a lifelong friend.
Lastly, we are heading out of town today. I love traveling. I love getting away from home, going different places, getting away from home. It's not nearly as stress-free as it used to be now that there are two young ones involved, but I still love it. I know I will blink and these kids will be going to college, so I'm trying to enjoy every single moment. Some days I'm better at that than others, but I AM trying to enjoy every stage of my children, even the crying, frustrating, temper tantrum times (for me as well as them. Ha!)
Time's up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good luck training! I've never been able to run well, so I'm always in awe of people who can. :-)
Seriously- GOOD LUCK with your training... i admire you... I couldn't do it, but kudos to you!
Post a Comment