My parents have been married for 49 years. Not once have I ever questioned their love for each other or their love for me.
The older I get, the more I realize that this is a significant part to who I am as a person. I work with students who range from 6th grade to college age. I have seen so many kids who deal with stuff they shouldn't have to, and one of those is parents who either fight all of the time or who are divorced/separated and put the child in the middle. Instead of home being a place for fond memories, home is sometimes where a child least wants to be.
I understand that sometimes divorce is inevitable. I know from experience that you can't control what the other person in the marriage does. I understand that step-parents can be a blessing. I truly believe that God gives us second chances in every area of our lives.
But I also understand that there are a lot of hurting children because their parents choose to make selfish decisions. When a girl I know doesn't want to go home because mom is drunk and dad doesn't want to come get her, my heart breaks. I have had numerous conversations with students whose dads promised to be there for something special, only to bail at the last minute.
Being a parent is easy. Being a GOOD parent is not.
By no means am I an awesome parent every day. And I am the first one sometimes to point out my parents' flaws (too much, actually), but the more I spend time with students who don't have the home life they need, I am more and more thankful that I never had to experience that in my family. And the more and more determined I am to show students the love and encouragement they need that they might not be getting from home.
No comments:
Post a Comment