Because Mothers' Day is coming up, I am incredibly tempted to write about how becoming a mom has changed my life. But I'm trying to write these "moments" in chronological order, so just bear with me until I get there.
Moments that changed my life, part 3: Going to a Christian College
As long as I can remember, I knew I wanted to go to college. I didn't know what I wanted to do (still don't, some days), but I knew that college would be in my future. Between my sophomore and junior years in high school, my youth minister's wife told me about Lincoln Christian College. At the time they held a summer music camp for high school students. On a whim, I went. All by myself.
I knew nobody.
I had no idea what I was doing.
And I had the time of my life.
We sang and learned a musical, but more importantly I got to know some of the students from Lincoln and see a little glimpse of what college life was like in at a small Christian school. By the end of summer camp, I knew that a Christian college was the right fit for me.
I went to Lincoln for 3 1/2 years. I was a business major for two years, and after spending a summer at church camps with junior and senior high school students, I knew that I had to change my major to education. I took a lot of flak for that, and I had to stay in school a lot longer than planned, but if was all worth it.
I ended up with a Bachelor's Degree in Bible from Lincoln (so if you need a licensed Sunday School teacher, I'm your man!), and I finished up my Bachelor's Degree in English from Illinois State University. (Don't worry, my next "moment" post will be about going to a state school as well. . .)
Here are just some of the ways going to a Christian school affected me:
*amazing opportunities to serve, locally and globally
*taught by some of the most amazing people I have ever me
*made some of the best friends I ever had
*saw how I fit into God's plan
More than anything, going to Lincoln gave me a foundation that I did not have before I left for school. Before that, I went to church because it was the right thing to do. I read the Bible because I knew I was supposed to. But I didn't really connect how God was working in my life to change others.
I am forever thankful that I went to Lincoln. It helped prepare me for my lifelong journey with God, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to go to a Christian college.
2 comments:
Beth, I really appreciate your writing. Jill and I were just talking about you and our times at LCC - and needing someone who "knew us when." Thanks for being such a great friend and influence in both of our lives. I don't think it was by mistake that we were all there together.
Love you sister! Amy
Oh, thank you, sweet Amy! I really needed to hear those words tonight. Really. The longer I am out of college, the more I see how God has a plan in everything. (except maybe when I shattered your dorm window. . .hee hee)
Post a Comment