Saturday, September 20, 2008

Day of Relaxing (for all of us)

Last night I was pleasantly surprised by a PHONE CALL from David! It was very exciting. Mac (the leader) had a calling card, and everyone got a turn to talk for a few minutes. It was so nice and comforting to hear his voice. Today (Saturday) they had a "relax" day. Here is some of the e-mail he sent tonight:

We are all REALLY starting to miss our families. It is especially evident for us guys since our work tasks ended yesterday. We feel that, "OK I'm ready to go home" thing.

Today was very relaxed. They rented a little bus (an air conditioned piece of heaven, I might add) and we went up in the mountain south of Port Au Prince to about 3000 ft where we got a great look at the city. We also went to a Baptist Mission there and then went to a history museum downtown and walked in front of the President's Palace. We got to see much more of Port au Prince today. We realized that many areas are nicer than where we are, but it is still very rough. It is evident that the city had much better days back in the 1970's.


The level of poverty you see is hard to comprehend......but somehow many people still have cell phones. Driving here is pretty nuts. The first rule of the road is that the biggest bumper wins, so we had a good day since we were in a bus. The taxis here are normally little Toyota pickups with benches in the back and a topper as a roof. They are called "Tap Taps". It is crazy how many people fit in these things. I've got some good pictures of loaded ones.

We got to eat at a place called Mac Eps today. It is Haiti's version of McDonald's. It was very comical. McDonalds doesn't have to worry too much.....my stomach seconds that observation.


As for me, I got to relax a little tonight as well. My mom graciously came over and watched Noel while I went to a youth group campfire/movie night. I know, some of you are thinking that doesn't sound very relaxing, but after 7 days of conversation with mainly a 2 year-old it was very refreshing. I love those kids. They crack me up.

We are all looking forward to Monday night, when the Wittenbach clan can be together again. Thank you again for your prayers.

No comments: