I've been reading this book by David Platt called Radical. I'm not going to lie, it's a tough read. Not because it's confusing or boring, but because it is convicting to the point where I have to stop and digest what I've read before I move on. It's challenging me to change not only my ideas but my actions. And I want to change.
The book as a whole is about how we as Christians in America have gotten those 2 things all mixed up together, and in doing so have watered down what it means to be a Christian. Somehow we have come to believe that it's okay to have everything we want, live comfortable lives, enjoy everything we've earned, and then add church attendance to the end of that list.
But is that really what God wants?
Is that what the Bible is about?
Are we really studying and living out the Bible and what Jesus said to us while He was here on earth, or are we doing what we do because that's what all of the Christians around us are doing?
The "American Dream", in a nutshell, is all about working hard and achieving whatever you dream. And while there is nothing wrong with working hard, we need to be focusing on what God is doing and how He can work through us, not what we can achieve at our church with more programs, different songs, better preaching, etc. We have lost our need for faith in a God so much bigger than a church service or youth program.
And our faith should be taking us outside of our comfort zones. Probably even outside of our country.
Here are just a few quotes from his book that I found thought-provoking:
"God has designed a radically global purpose for our lives. . .to spend all of our lives for the sake of all of God's glory in all of the world."
"There are 4.5 billion people who, if the gospel is true, at this moment are separated from God in their sin. . .and most of them live outside the United States.. .Our hearts should be consumed with making the glory of God known in all nations."
"Would you say that your life is marked right now by desperation for the Spirit of God? Would you say that the church you are a part of is characterized by this sense of desperation?"
"The resources of heaven are ready and waiting for the people of God who desire to make much of Him in this world."
I want to make much of Him. I'm tired of making much of myself. I want to turn away from the American Dream and live God's dream. I want to take the blessings I've been given and use them to bless others. I hope you'll join me.
No comments:
Post a Comment