Monday, July 12, 2010

Worship



One of the absolute highlights of our trip to Haiti was worshipping with Emmanuel Christian Church in Peredo. I wish I had some video footage of it, because words can't describe this. We pulled in (still riding in our cattle car--the church clothes were a nice touch) and church had already been going for quite a while. They had finished up Sunday School and were singing. There are no instruments, no p.a. system, no graphics on a screen. Just Toto leading 100+ believers in song. As soon as we came in, people moved children to the sides so we could have a seat (everyone is in church together--there aren't any other rooms!). I ended up sitting by Fanny and Cosine, two of the girls I had spent lots of time with so far on the trip. That turned out to be a bad thing, since they were both fighting so much that Gerard separated them during the sermon--yikes!

We sang a few hymns, most of which I could sing along to because they were old hymns I had grown up with. Then one man stood up and sang a song in Creole. It was really nice. Then another man came up. I found out later that this man was a new believer whose wife had been practicing voodoo until just a few months ago. He sang the song "He Touched Me" in English and then in Creole. I can tell you, there was barely a dry eye in the room. To look at this man and imagine all of the things he has gone through, and now finding out there is a Savior who loves Him and wants Him, it was completely evident on his face. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Another "time-for tears" moment came when the students from our group got up and sang a worship song, led by my nephew on guitar. To see them all up there, singing with all of their hearts, about God changing them from the inside out, I don't think I've ever been more proud to be one of their leaders.

After communion and some more singing, Steve Allen, our preacher who came with us, preached while Gerard interpreted. It was great watching Gerard, because he is so animated, and you could tell that he was adding to what Steve was saying. The funniest part was when a cell phone went off. Gerard stopped the service to give a lecture to the church, but he was being really comical, telling them, "nobody cares what your ringtone is." I love him.

The whole service was beautiful, uplifting, emotional, and unforgetable. I love knowing that when we are in worship here in the states, that they are worshipping God all over the world, too. We can get so caught up in the latest songs, technology, etc. to try and wow the crowd, but if it's not from the heart, it's garbage. What matters is a heart focused on one thing: God.

No comments: