Over the past few weeks, I have really tried to start teaching Noel about service. Throughout his life he has been with us when we serve in different ways, but I realized that I need to make sure he understands why we do the things we do and go the places we go. It has started some really good talks between us, and I'm excited to see him learn more about helping others.
For example, yesterday we took cucumbers to Kokomo Urban Outreach. Our garden is overflowing with cucumbers, and there's only so many you can eat (although my husband tries to break records in that area). We had several extras, so we put them in a bag and headed out. Kokomo Urban Outreach, led by Jeff Newton, is doing wonderful things to help the people in Kokomo, especially those in financial need. Their church is right across the street from a low-income housing unit, and they have several other sights where they have set up headquarters to help other neighborhoods in great need. They realize that children who usually get the free lunch at school have nothing to eat for lunch during the summer, so they provide lunch. Every weekday. All summer. All on donations and volunteering.
It's a beautiful thing.
So I feel kind of silly just coming in with a bag of cucumbers and some non-perishables for the food pantry. But I wanted Noel to see service in action. We had a conversation on the way there about how some families don't have any food in their fridge. He asks, "Not even fruit snacks?" He's trying to get the concept! So he carries in the bag of cucumbers, and we take them to the office. I explain to them what we have and hand them off, and the nicest lady comes over to Noel, leans down and says, "Did you bring these for us?"
He nods.
She says, "There are some people who are going to have a wonderful salad today, thanks to you."
And Noel gets the biggest smile on his face.
I know it wasn't much, and I know it's gonna take a lot more than a bag of cucumbers to teach Noel about loving others like God loves them.
But it's a start.
Do something today to share God's love.
No comments:
Post a Comment