This summer I have had the privilege (and I know that sounds odd to some of you) of spending lots of time with high school students. First, I went with them to Haiti. I've also been teaching a Bible study on Sunday mornings with them. Last week, most of them headed off to church camp, and while I couldn't make it for the week, I did go up for a day to visit. Yesterday I got to help lead music for our jr. high/sr. high worship service. And last night I went with several of them to Kokomo Urban Outreach. On Sunday afternoons Kokomo Urban Outreach grills out and serves hot dogs, chips, drinks, and snacks in one of the low-income housing neighborhoods in our town. They also have a table full of fresh produce which they give away. While they are doing that, we come and play with the kids. It takes zero preparation and hardly any effort, but it makes for a fun-filled afternoon. We played baseball, drew with sidewalk chalk, blew bubbles, and jump-roped (is that a word?). And all I could think about was how proud I am to be a part of this youth ministry.
Teenagers are often stereotyped as lazy, selfish, materialistic, and shallow. And some definitely are. But aren't a lot of adults the same way?
Over my 10 years as a youth leader, I have come to see that teenagers rise to the occasion when given the opportunity. They are hard workers. They give of themselves. They bring laughter and insight. They aren't content to stop changing and growing. They have hopes and dreams, and (I hope) a goal to share God's love with those around them.
Some people think it's a chore to spend my summer with high school students. I consider it an honor.
No comments:
Post a Comment