Monday, July 19, 2010

On the agenda

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love a good to-do list. I feel such satisfaction crossing everything off as I "accomplish" tasks. Sometimes I even cheat a little by a)putting things on the list I've already done and b)writing down the most simple jobs (ie. eat lunch, change diapers) so that I feel more satisfaction.

Today is David's birthday. He is not much for birthdays, so we don't have anything huge planned. Plus, we had dinner with some friends Saturday night, which was SO MUCH FUN! (Thanks, Craws and Millers). Today, Noel and I are going to bake him a cake and decorate a card. Then we have some laundry and sweeping and mopping to do. Also on the list is getting a birthday gift for one of Noel's friends, so I get to check out the new Big Lots. Then there is the picking up, straightening, re-picking up, re-straightening of the house, which is an endless job with a 15 month-old and an almost 4 year-old.

But sometimes I get so focused on what "needs" to be done that I miss the fun and enjoyment of the every day. I miss the laughter my kids bring me, the time they want to spend playing outside, the sunshine and sweat and running and chasing and on and on and on. I've been trying really hard to leave our schedules open so that we can enjoy the summer, not just plow through it as fast as possible. So, today I'm reminding myself that even though there are lots of things that can be done, nothing is more important than being a servant to those around me, whether that is my kids, my spouse, my friends, strangers in need, or someone else.

Take time to look around today. Do something that's not on your list, and leave a comment about how it went.

No comments: