Monday, January 17, 2011

In a nutshell

I have several ideas that I would like to share in different blog posts.  Lots of things I'd like to share.  But the truth is, life has gotten a little crazy.  I am taking an online class to keep my teacher certification up, and it requires about 8 hours of work each week (fortunately, it's only 8 weeks long).  Anyway, I haven't had much extra time to come up with witty, interesting ways to tell some good stories, but I will give you the highlights:

*I got called to jury duty. Again.  Seriously, this is getting a little weird.  I served on a jury in 2004, and when I did that the judge said, "For most of you, this is a once in a lifetime experience."  Since then, I have been summoned 3 times.  The last 2 times I've made it up to the day before the trial and then it is cancelled for some reason or other.  Oh, well.  Most people really complain about it, but I kind of find it fascinating.  In fact, I think I should ask to excuse myself because I watch way too many courtroom dramas and investigation shows (Homicide, Without a Trace, 20/20, Primetime, 48 Hours Mystery), so I feel like I have an unfair advantage over the other jurors. 
I'm just sayin'.

*I got to see one of my old roomies, Miss Sarah Szoke, now Mrs. Sarah Lowery.  It was so fun to see her, her hubby, and her sweet little biscuit, Eden.  And for some reason all of the stars aligned and the kids were wonderful at the restaurant.  Poor David was hardly a part of the conversation because he played with Noel all night.  It was really sweet of him, because he knew I really wanted to talk to Sarah.  They live much closer now, so I'm hoping we can see more of each other.

*Friday night I did it again.  What is it, you ask? Oh, I just dropped my wallet in the parking lot of Meijer and didn't realize it until Saturday morning.  Who does this??  Only me!!  So, David called and nobody had turned in anything.  I ran a few errands, even drove through the parking lot to check, and then I realized we hadn't prayed about this.  So I promptly pulled the car over and prayed.  When I got home I called again, and lo and behold someone had turned it in.  The cash was gone, but everything else was there.  Who knows?  Maybe my prayer convicted someone to turn in a wallet!  Whatever the case, I'm just glad I don't have to get a new license and cancel my credit cards.  Again. (By the way, I've done this 3 times before, including losing my husband's wallet at Lucas Oil Stadium.  Yes, I am that ridiculous.)

*Lastly, our little angel Elise finally did what we knew she would do sooner or later.  She hurt herself.  She's kind of a monkey, and after Sunday dinner she thought she would try to push herself away from the table, which ended up flipping her chair back and landing flat on her back on the hardwood floor.  She banged her head pretty bad and there was blood everywhere.  Poor David.  I wasn't even there, so he had to clean up the mess, figure out where she was bleeding from, and try and calm her down.  We thought she might need stiches, but I think she's okay.   She has a half-dollar size red spot on the back of her head that got his pretty hard and busted the skin.  But I'm sure her luxurious hair will grow right over it and nobody will ever notice (If you've never seen my husband and me, you won't understand that last statement as total sarcasm.  Between the 2 of us there is no hope of our children having any kind of thick, curly, long, great hair.  Sorry kids!)  We are all breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't worse, and hope she has learned her lesson.  Except that tonight she already jumped off the couch and hit her head on the coffee table.  Again.  This girl is destined to make us crazy!

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, everyone!  May we all live with the passion and conviction he had.  Hope you have a wonderful week.

2 comments:

Brian & Ashley said...

On top of your police drama experience, you forgot to mention your excitement over the blotter.

Beth said...

Oh, my goodness! You're totally right! See? I've been reading the arrests so long I don't even realize that it's weird to do that. I definitely should not be on a jury. I'd take one look at the name and remember he'd been arrested last year for possession!