Yesterday, my pastor talked about being a servant like John the Baptist, and one of the things he said that really hit me was that you have to be humble to be a servant.
What is humility?
For years I have struggled with humility, not because I think I am so much better than everyone else, but because I can spend countless hours feeling sorry for myself.
For the things I want to do but can't.
For the way I look.
For the talents I don't have.
For the mistakes I've made and continue to make.
For being rejected and cast aside.
But feeling sorry for yourself isn't being humble. It's just a different kind of pride. Humility is when you think less of yourself than you do of others. Whether it's thinking about how great you are or how awful you are, it's all taking the focus away from being a servant to others.
So when you (like me) are tempted to feel sorry for yourself for whatever reason you deem important, remember that it is a sin, just like pride. Remember that God doesn't make mistakes. He made each of us and loves each of us with an indescribable love. A love that sent His son to a terrible death. Remember.
1 comment:
I totally agree with your assessment. Whether you are thinking more highly of yourself or you are thinking you're not good enough, you are merely thinking about YOU and not how you can be of service to others. Great post!
Post a Comment