I'm not sure if it's just an American thing or not, but our society is in a hurry. We pride ourselves on how much we can accomplish each day. We rush from one event to the next. We speed through every meal, every activity, every conversation, with more on the way.
And I wonder if we are truly experiencing all of the joy from each of those experiences if we're always in a hurry.
Do I take time to enjoy the moments of my day? Even the trivial, mundane ones? Can I stop and give thanks today, as I'm doing dishes, for hot running water that comes to me so easily? Can I sit and enjoy my children without dwelling on all of the things on my to-do list that will go undone? Can I live each day embracing it instead of wishing for something else?
We have been given so much, and yet our first instinct is to want for more.
Let my life be full of gratitude instead of longing. May I stop and relish every waking moment that I've been given today and be filled with joy. Will you join me?
No comments:
Post a Comment