**Disclaimer: I should have posted this last week. Not so helpful the week after DST, but whatever. . .
People in Indiana are weird about Daylight Savings. I've never seen anything like it. For so many years we were rebels. We didn't turn back. We didn't turn forward. We stayed the same and made life very confusing for the surrounding states. "Wait, is Indiana the same time as us, or different?"
And then we buckled.
And for some reason, most folks around here just can't get over it. It is the source of lots of complaining, and although I don't get it, I do see how Daylight Savings can wreak havoc on a little one's schedule. Unlike adults, who can just sleep an extra hour or waste it doing something else, children might have trouble just staying up an extra hour or sleeping an hour more or less.
But, I am here to testify, sister (and brother) that it can be done!!
Here's what works for us:
Instead of dealing with an entire hour change, move the clocks forward, mentally, a little bit every day for a few days. Three or four days before the actual change, start bumping nap times, meals, bedtimes, etc. up (or back, if it's spring) 15-20 minutes. I promise, by the time the actual change rolls around, the transition will be seamless.
And that's what works for me.
1 comment:
Oy! I do this to get the kids ready for the new school year, but why didn't I think of this for the time change? Smart!
Post a Comment