24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. 25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. 28 By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.
David and I finished reading Hebrews 11 yesterday (you can read my thoughts on the first half of Hebrews 11 here). We talked about Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and Joshua. And we talked about Moses. I know that I am guilty of just glancing over verses in the Bible if I've "heard it before", but this time we really looked at what Moses was being given a shout out for in this Faith Hall of Fame chapter. Moses could have taken the easy road and lived, literally, like a Pharoah. He could have had any material thing he wanted. He could have been a head honcho and slave driver.
But he didn't. He chose to be on God's side, because "he was looking ahead to his reward."
Hebrews was written to Jews-turned-Believers who were being tempted to go back to their old ways.
So, what a perfect example to give to these people! Moses (the key Jewish figure) who was in the same position they were in: keep going down the difficult road or head back. Moses chose to stay with God's people! What an encouragement that must have been to them.
Another thing that really hit me was the last few verses of the chapter.
Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were put to death by stoning;[e] they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated—
This is a description of faithful believers. And I wonder why the church today isn't very effective. Am I putting myself out there? Am I living proof that God is alive and active, even if it means harsh punishment? Sometimes I don't even speak up if I'm afraid someone will make fun of me.
And, the icing on the cake is this:
the world was not worthy of them.
Oh, that that could be said of each of us! We look to the world for affirmation, support, guidance, everything. But what if our actions were so far out of this world that the world wasn't even worthy of it? That's a powerful challenge right there.
Lastly, I have to mention Rahab. Why do they have to always mention the fact that she was a prostitute? Because she was an example of someone. . .
whose weakness was turned to strength; (verse 34).
I can look at each person in this chapter and see the work of God in their lives, turning their weakness into a strength, whether is was Moses' fear of public speaking or Abraham's lack of children. But what sticks out the most is Rahab. I had never thought about the fact that if Rahab had not been in that exact spot in her life she would not have been used by God in such a powerful way. There is no way the spies would have knocked on a door of a family where people where coming and going openly. Because of Rahab's "status" in life, she was able to hide the spies and eventually save her family. Did God want her to be a prostitute? Of course not. But He definitely used her weakness and turned it to strength.
So I am challenged today to think about my weaknesses and ask God to turn them to strengths. To seek out ways to live faithfully for Him. To stand out as one whom the world is not worthy of.
No comments:
Post a Comment