Wednesday, December 07, 2011

What does faith look like?

Over the past few months, David and I have been going through the book of Hebrews together.  And this week we started reading chapter 11.  We had so much to talk about that we had to stop halfway through.  I know that I've read this passage at least a dozen times, but every time I read it something else jumps out.

This time, as we were going through the different people mentioned in Hebrews 11 "Hall of Fame of Faith", we looked at how each person's faith can be relevant to us in this day and age.  (P.S.  When I say, "this day and age" I feel like an old person).  So far, this is what we have come up with:

Abel:  He gave an offering to God.  But not just any offering--his finest.  His heart was right in the sacrifice.
When I give/serve/offer what are my motives?  God, give me a clean heart and a desire to serve You above all.


Enoch:  He walked so closely with God that he was known as "one who pleased God".  He didn't even experience death;  God just took him straight to Heaven.
Is my relationship with God so intimate that I know what pleases Him?  Father, pull me closer to You, and let everything else fall into place.


Noah:  He followed God's commands, even when everyone thought he was crazy.  Even Noah didn't understand what was going to happen, but he obeyed.
When following God makes me stand out, am I willing to trust and obey?  Lord, help me to care more about pleasing you than anyone else.

And then there's Abraham:  He left everything (okay, he took his wife and some other stuff) and left all of the comforts of home to follow God's leading.  Where was he going?  No idea.  How long would the travel be?  Unsure.  Did that stop Abraham?  Not in the slightest.  I like to think of Abraham and Sarah as the first missionaries.  And then, as if that wasn't enough, God asked Abraham to sacrifice his own son.  The son he had been waiting 100 years for.  The son whom God said would be a blessing to many nations.  Isaac.  And Abraham obeyed.  He had such faith, he knew God would work out a plan even better than one he could comprehend.
When obedience involves sacrifice, how do I react?  Will I go where God leads, whatever the cost?  Jesus, I want to have faith like these people (and so many others).  Let my life reflect that desire in my day to day actions.

No comments: