Monday, December 05, 2011

Kickin' it in Heaven

About a year and a half ago we started visiting with residents at a local nursing home.  We sing a few hymns with them, eat some treats, play some games, and visit.  And since we've started going we've met some really neat people.  And one of those people is Levi.

Every time we would see Levi and ask how he was, Levi would say, "I'm still kickin. . .not very high, but I'm still kickin."

And every time we would say goodbye, Levi would say, "If I'm still here, I'll see you next time."

This weekend, Levi passed away.  And while I am sad, I am joyful that Levi is kickin' as high as he wants now in Heaven.  Being 97, he outlived his entire family by decades.  He was a great card player, and he loved to sing.  He loved camping and being outside, and I will miss him.

And so my heart is a little heavy today.  I knew when we started visiting the nursing home that the reality of death was much more present.  But I am thankful for that, because it has reminded me of the importance of living life to the fullest.  I am also reminded that this life is not all there is.  This is just a blink of an eye in comparison to eternity.

So, thank you, Levi.  We will miss you.  Now you can sing as loudly as you want .

No comments: