Monday, April 16, 2012

homemade hummus

I think about a year ago I was introduced to hummus.  I found it on clearance at Meijer one day and tried it.  Of course, they hooked me, and now I want it every time I go there, even when it's not on sale.  David swears it's because we eat the hummus with these:


Oh, sweet mercy, they are good.  I think that in my mind I justify eating so many of them because they kind of look healthy.  But a whole bag of anything isn't really healthy.  But I digress. . .

Last week when I was trying to find a new food, I bought some garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, which is the main ingredient in hummus.  Does anyone know why the same food has 2 different names?  Enlighten me, please.  Anyway, I decided I would make my own hummus.  And it was pretty easy.  The only other thing I really needed was Tahini sauce, which is made from sesame seeds (I think).

So, you just put a can of chickpeas in your food processor with some garlic, some Tahini sauce, lemon juice, salt, and then whatever you want to add flavoring (pine nuts, red pepper, basil, etc.).

Unless you are like me and don't own a food processor.  In that case, use your blender.

In the end, it turned out to be delicious, and we didn't even have the amazing pretzels!  We ate it all the way to Chicago to pick my brother up from his trip to Haiti.

So, anybody have some new food ideas for me to try next week?

No comments: