Some days I leave Bridges laughing at the crazy fun we had. (Oh my, if I only had a video camera with me. . .) Some days I leave Bridges completely frustrated because of a situation. (How many times can a student "forget" their homework?) But today I left Bridges, sat in my car, and cried.
I cried for my students.
They are carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders, and many have nobody to help them.
This week at Bridges the theme was "your story". They've been giving students a chance to tell their story to everyone. Today one brave girl started. She told her story, which is filled with the heartaches of drug abuse, foster care, and poverty. But through it all she has continued to press on. She spoke about the hope that God gives her that she can keep pressing on no matter what.
I was so proud of her courage to speak and share. Whew. That was tough. Now, onto free time, right?
Nope.
Another student shared. And then another. One by one students came up and vocalized their struggles. These students who are between 12 and 15 spoke of things that nobody should experience, let alone as a child.
Abuse from parents
Abandonment
Drug Addiction
Incarceration of family members
Divorce
Dad running off
Being molested
Being bullied
One boy spoke of how he had never met his dad. "I don't know what is so wrong with me that he doesn't even want to know me."
The stories started to overwhelm me. Honestly, I just wanted to walk out of the room and cry. But for some reason, I kept thinking of my friend Ginny, who is a missionary in Haiti. When she took me to a Tent City in Jacmel, she said, "Don't cry in front of them. They don't want your pity. They want your help."
And that's what Bridges is all about. It's not about pity. It's about help.
Most of the students who shared their stories were missing a true family. Someone who misses them when they are not around, who cheers them on, laughs with them, pushes them to do their best. And they have found some of that in Bridges.
So, while it's nice I get to help them with homework, and it's fun to play games with them, the reason I'm there is to show them that they are not alone. Someone cares.
No comments:
Post a Comment