Thursday, April 05, 2012

Kale, yeah!

Again, I apologize for the terrible pun.  This is what happens when you live with my husband for 7 years.  He is the king of puns, but he never promises they will be good.

I just wanted to share that while I haven't been very diligent about posting all of my cooking adventures with new foods this year, we are still trying a new food every week.  In order to spare you the pointless details, I will run through some of the most recent very quickly:

*Eggplant.  Now, technically, I have eaten eggplant many times before, and I think I cooked one.  Once.  Like 12 years ago.  So I still counted it as new.  I made eggplant parmesan (of course).  It was really good.  Really.

*Cous Cous.  Okay, for the record, I have not made cous cous yet.  I have merely purchased it, and it is sitting on my pantry shelf.  I can't figure out what it goes with.  Anyone?  Anyone?

*Kale.  Today we made kale chips.  If you want the recipe, you can google "kale chips" and you'll get about 50 different recipes.  I was pleasantly surprised with how good they were.  Next time I will definitely dry them  a little more before I put them in the oven.  And I put way too much salt on them (and I'm kind of a salt monkey).

*Tomatillos.  I found a recipe for salsa verde that I really wanted to try, and it called for tomatillos,so I went for it.  The secret is to buy canned tomatillos.  They are already peeled and cored, so all you have to do is chop them up.  This was delicious salsa.  I even took a picture of the ingredients:


Of course, I completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  Baby steps, right?  I think what else made this salsa so good was the fact that the onion and jalapeno pepper were grilled before they went into the salsa.  It added a smoky taste.  Mmmmm

Sidenote:  David and I were just talking about how hardly anybody ate salsa when we were growing up.  Now we are making all different kinds.  Has there been some sort of sociological study about the effect of the Food Network on our culture?

So, that's what I've been up to on the cooking front.  Now you can all breathe a big sigh of relief and go back to your usual routine.  Any suggestions for more new foods for me?

No comments: