Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Nadine Update




Several months ago, maybe even a year, I started writing about Nadine.  Nadine is a young lady I met on my trip to Peredo, Haiti.  She had a huge growth, which made her look nine months pregnant.  Because of this, she was basically an outcast in her village.  Her mother didn't want her to go to school.  She had minimal contact with the other children.  

But over the course of this past year, my friend Ginny, along with countless others, have worked to get her the medical help she needs.  Now she is living in Columbus, Ohio with an amazing family, the Tatas.  Her medical procedures have been long and tedious (lots of draining and dealing with blood pressure issues), but Sheree (her host mother) says Nadine has been incredibly brave and positive.  Sheree says she is a member of their family.

Last week, David went with a group of students and adults from our church to Nadine's village.  As I was sticking pictures of the kids in his backpack, I had the quick thought to throw in some pictures of Nadine here in the states, happy and healthy.  

I'm so thankful I did.

The top picture of the post is David with Nadine's mom and brother.  David was able to share with them the pictures and explain that she is doing very well.  He said Nadine's mom kept putting her hand on her heart and saying "Mesi, mesi" (thank you).  She even blew him a kiss when he left.

A trip to Haiti can be overwhelming.  There is so much chaos and heartache.  It's hard to even wrap your mind around where to begin. 

But God is bigger.

And we do what we can.  One soul at a time.

There are sometimes questions about why people go on short term missions trips.  And I do believe that some trips are not always handled correctly (ie. they are more work than help for the long-term missionaries).  But as I look at Nadine and know that if we had not gone to Haiti, we would probably not be a part of this plan  God had for her, I cannot help but be overwhelmed again, but this time with thankfulness and joy.

What can I do today that will make a difference in someone' life for God?  That should be our question every day.  Everywhere.  Every. Time.

No comments: