Thursday, July 05, 2012

Slowing Down/Speeding Up

It's Thursday.

(Sigh)

David's been gone since last Friday night.

We've had a lot of fun, but we are ready for him to come home.

Every time I've ever gone on a missions trip, the first few days seem to go really slowly, and then the last 2 days fly by.

Every time I've stayed home while my husband has been gone, the first part seems to fly by, and the last few days before he gets home come to a screeching halt.

So that's where we are.

We have some fun things planned, and hope that the weather will cooperate.  And we had a really good time celebrating Independence Day with friends last night.  I even broke down and let the kids stay up to watch fireworks, which is something I haven't done ever with my kids.  I kept trying to convince them, "See?  Sometimes Mom can be fun!!"  (After 2 days of yelling at them and being completely grumpy and impatient.  I'm sure it worked beautifully.)

I used to make comments when David was gone about how I was being a "single" parent, or that now I know what it feels like to be a single parent.  But I read an article once from a real single parent, and I realize that my husband being away for a week is so far removed from being a single parent that I will never say that again.  There is such a huge difference between missing my husband because he's out of the country for a short time and missing my husband because a)he left for good b)he was never around to begin with c) he is gone for months at a time.  Perspective is a hard pill to swallow sometimes.

So, while these last 3 days creep along, we will try to enjoy every moment of the days we are given (even if they are face-melting hot), and try to focus on the good stuff.


No comments: