Monday, July 23, 2012

Without a hitch

David turned 40 on Thursday.  If you know my husband at all, you know that he does not like lots of attention.  He likes being with a few friends or family members and doing fun stuff like golfing or playing basketball.  But I wanted to do something special for him.

Well, hello, Pinterest idea. I think I will finally use you!

I took an idea from Pinterest to celebrate this special day.  Instead of a party, I asked people to send letters to me to give to David.  I was a little nervous how it would all turn out, because people don't really write letters very much anymore (one of our nephews ended his letter with ". . .and I think this is the first letter I've written in like 5 years. . .)

But the letters came in.

From family

from friends

from co-workers

from former youth group students.

It was perfect.

We got up  Thursday morning (David's birthday) and packed to go to the farm for his parents' 50th anniversary party.  I drove so he could read the letters. I wish I could have taken pictures of his face as he read letter after letter (43 in all).  He was so shocked, touched, and excited that so many people took the time to write him.

Some were hilarious, and some were tear jerkers.  David's brother, Mike, wrote down a bunch of stories from their childhood that involved manure spreaders, swamps, dangerous 3-wheelers, etc. Dave's high school friends also shared stories of their adventures back in the day.  Our friend Phil included pictures from over the years to really take us down memory lane.

The common theme throughout the letters was that David is so special to all of them.  He may not be the most outspoken guy or have an over-the-top personality, but that is what makes him so special.  He has a quiet strength, a quick wit, a wise mind, and people have been changed because of it. When the group returned from Haiti, several of the people on the trip said to me how much his words meant at different points during the trip, and I was so glad that I got to share him with others.

If there is someone in your life who has made a difference for you, let them know!  Write a letter, call, whatever you need to do, but tell them.


2 comments:

Brian & Ashley said...

So glad Dave enjoyed the letters. What a sweet and thoughtful idea that was! I need to remember that. -- I will be here until Monday - are you doing anything Sunday afternoon (or we could maybe come over Saturday afternoon)? I know it's late notice, so no prob if you're busy.

Beth said...

We are free Sunday afternoon! Come on over! I think we will be here from after church until about 5:30.