Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Best and The Worst

Here are my picks for the best and the worst of television:

(Disclaimer: I do not have a lot of cable channels--ie. Lifetime, Food Network, Comedy Channel, etc. so some of my choices are limited!)

Morning Shows:

Best--I don't mind a little Good Morning Amerca to get my day started, but to be honest, there is nothing on in the morning that I care too much about. Not even the talk shows like Ellen, Bonnie, etc. They are okay, but nothing spectacular


Worst--Live with Regis and Kelly. Who in the world watches this show? I think the demographic must be 75 year-old ladies. Seriously, it's awful.

Comedies:

Best--I used to love love love The Office, and I still do like it, but it's just not as funny as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, it still has its moments, but they are not as side-splitting as in the early days. I've watched Modern Family a few times, and it is hilarious, but pretty inappropriate at times. I also really like Parks and Recreation and The Big Bang Theory. But I'm not sold on anything 100%. I'll go with Psych, even though each season of Psych is about 4 episodes. I lov every one of them.


Worst-- Oh, my, there are so many terrible shows out there. Rules of Engagement?? Three and a Half Men? What's that show where Dharma is pregnant? Gary Unmarried? I can't even bring myself to try these shows after I watch the previews. Maybe I'm missing out on the funniest show of the year. But I don't think so.



Reality Shows:

Best--Of course, if you know me at all you know that Top Chef is my all-time favorite reality show. I love it. I could watch it every day. I love watching the creativity, the different kinds of chefs there are, and the drama that ensues. Another show that David and I really like watching together is The Amazing Race. I think what I love about it is that we learn stuff about different countries and get to see all kinds of different cultures. Plus we always end up deciding how we would do in certain challenges and how the two of us should never actually be on The Amazing Race.

Worst--Oh, there are so many. Anything where people vote people off bothers me, even American Idol to a point, because it ends up not being the best contestant who wins. (And as a sidenote, Dear American Idol contestants: if you think I need you to hold up the number I'm supposed to call to pick you, you've lost my vote already). But I think most TLC shows would qualify as the worst reality shows--anything with Kate Gosselin or a brood of kids or people who have some sort of weird quality like tree stumps for legs or an extra eye or something. I can do without any of those. I will say that the Hoarders show on TLC is better than the original on A&E, although I still think they totally stole that idea. Do we really need 2 shows about hoarders? And what do people from other countries think when they see shows like Hoarders. Is this an issue in any other country than America, where excess is praised?

But I digress. . .

Dramas:

Best--The Mentalist is awesome. Love it. And Castle is good. Those are really the only dramas I watch. Nothing compares to Homicide: Life on the Streets. But I can't even get the reruns of that.

Worst--CSI: Miami. Are there really people out there who watch this? Also, although I've never seen it, I can't imagine The Ghost Whisperer is high quality, but I could be dead wrong (HA!)

Late Night Shows:
Best--Jimmy Fallon is the best. The bomb. He makes me laugh all of the time.
Worst--Jay Leno is not funny. I don't get his appeal, but apparently others do, so I must be missing out.

So there you have it. Now that you think I'm a tv junkie and have no life, I've shared my faves and least faves in the bunch.

Happy watching!


2 comments:

Brian & Ashley said...

Okay, I agree with some of your Favs and worsts. Morning shows: Fav and Worst are combined: I have to go with Regis & Kelly, but only when Regis is off, I like her with her husband, Anderson Cooper, or Jeff Probst. Comedies: Fav: The Office, Worst: total agreement with you, although I haven't seen any of those shows, but they look really bad to me; Reality: Fav: The Amazing Race!! and Bachelor Worst: Anything on MTV; Drama Fav: Castle, The Mentalist, Burn Notice; Worst: I'll agree with Ghost Whisperer even though I haven't seen that, either; Late night -? I'm usually in bed by 10. PS I enjoy your blog.
Ashley

Beth said...

Thanks!
Oh, I'm in bed much earlier than Late Night tv--that's the beauty of the DVR :)