Friday, April 30, 2010

Stuff, stuff, and more stuff

A few weeks ago, I stumbled onto this website:

http://wearethatfamily.com

Anyway, the author has a bunch of different types of posts, sometimes funny, sometimes advice about keeping organized, ways to help in our world, etc. But today's post really struck me. It was all about how we have too much stuff. She recently went on a trip to Africa and realized how much the material items in our lives clutter not only our houses but who we are.

This topic has been a struggle with me for a long time. I look at our world, especially the United States, and see so many of us who are trying to fill our lives with things. We each have our vices: clothes, toys for the kids, decorating the house, scrapbooking, music, going out to eat, make-up, etc. The list could go on and on. And none of those things are bad on their own, except that we tend to turn those into happiness-makers. If I'm feeling bad about something, a new pair of shoes perks me right up. But is that really what God wants from me? Expects from me? Desires from me?

I want to look back at my life and instead of having a house full of stuff that someone will have to sort through, having lives around me with hearts full of memories of us together. Things I did with them or said to them that made an impression (hopefully a good one).

I want my children to realize as early on as they can that happiness doesn't come in what you get, but what you give.

And it starts today.

1 comment:

Brian & Ashley said...

For the past few years, I have really felt God tug on my heart about all my "stuff." I want to make a difference for Christ's kingdom and leave a legacy of love. Something I once heard on WFRN "Live your life in a way so when people ask about you, other's response will be, 'No, she was better'."