
Okay, before you get the wrong idea, I'm not on the newest weight loss plan. I'm preparing to teach the book of Daniel to high school students. I just finished going through chapter one, and find that it is such a relevant book. Here's some thoughts I had about Daniel 1 that I wanted to share.
*This book took place around 600 BC. So 2600 years later we are still struggling with the same issues. In chapter one we find that Judah had continued to disregard God's warnings that if they didn't follow Him there would be trouble.
Enter the Babylonians, who capture everyone and trash the temple.
How many times have I known in my head that something, some action, some attitude of mine was going to lead to trouble, and I choose to ignore it? How many times do I end up in trouble and then ask, "Why, God?"
Solomon was right. There is nothing new under the sun.
*Babylon was known for its indulgence, excess, and focus on money, youth, and appearance. Hmmmm. . .that sounds just a tad familiar with our culture today. And when Daniel was told to eat from the king's table (basically eating from his table would signify agreement with his land and their beliefs), he found himself at a crossroads.
Would it have been a sin for Daniel to eat the king's food? I don't know, but I don't think that was Daniel's question. I think Daniel's question was: What is the best choice I can make in this situation?
*And that is what I find most convicting about Daniel chapter one. Most days I am not being "attacked" with choices between terrible acts and angelic behavior. Instead, most of my choices are between 'okay' things and 'better' things. It is really tempting to just do what I want and rationalize with the thought, "I'm not 'sinning' or hurting anyone. I could be doing much worse." But what if each of my daily decisions was motivated by the question "What is the best choice in this situation?" How different would my day be?
May I look at each decision and realize that little choices for better instead of good are just as important as big choices between good and evil.
Thanks, Daniel.
No comments:
Post a Comment