Friday, March 25, 2011

5-Minute Friday


I've been reading a blog recently that dares you to write for just 5 minutes on Fridays about a given topic.  No editing.  No proofreading.  5 minutes flat. You can read more on the 5-minute Fridays here.

Today's topic:  Waking Up

GO

I used to be the kind of person who would sleep until the very last minute she possibly could.  Every time the alarm went off, I would hit snooze, and each time I hit snooze I would cross something off of my list that I was going to do in the morning.  Snooze #1--guess I won't be ironing that shirt.  Snooze #2--curling the hair is out.  You get the picture.  You don't even want to know the things that started to get elimated by snooze #6 & 7.

And when I first became a stay-at-home mom, I craved sleep.  I took it any chance I could get it.  But now that the kids are older and sleep pretty well, I have a different view of waking up.  I get up about an hour before they do so that I can have some quiet time all to myself.  Read. Drink coffee.  Shower. Blog.  Whatever I want to do for about an hour.  And I can tell the difference it makes.  Instead of being grumpy when they get up because we have to start the whirlwind of the day, I'm excited to see them and ready to tackle the craziness that is a 4 year-old and an almost 2 year-old. 

Some days I don't do this.  Some days the snooze still wins.  And I still can't get my feet to running that early in the morning.  But I have learned that if I want time for myself I can make the time.

STOP

Now, I dare you to try the 5-minute challenge.

4 comments:

Monica Selby said...

Hey! I popped over from Gypsy Mama. This is funny because my free-write on waking up is on almost the exact same subject! I guess waking up early is hard but necessary for all moms.

Great job!

Heather Mattern said...

Oh the snooze has won many times over here. I have heard that it gets easier in time, not sure that I believe it though :)

eloranicole said...

this is humorous - i ALMOST began my post about my tendency to hit snooze too many times. i opted for another route, but i totally relate to this post. even though i'm not a stay at home mom [yet] the days where i allow myself time to read my Bible, study, drink some coffee...those are the days i feel most like myself.

Mel said...

I need to do this. My kids get up SO early, it makes it really hard to get up before them. But you're right, each time I hit snooze I have to cross something I need to do off the list. That's not a good start to the day, already feeling defeated.

Blessings,
Mel
Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God