Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Garden Update

Okay, okay, all of you readers who've been begging to know about Wittenbach Garden!  Here is the latest news**

**Nobody has begged to know about the garden, but I needed some sort of motivation to share.

The garden is at the point where we like to call it "out of control" for many reasons:
1.  The weeds are overtaking many parts.  Our zucchini and cucumbers succumbed to those blasted beetles (R.I.P.), and since nothing is growing there, we no longer weed.  The weeds are seriously up to my knees.  There are also plants that have run their course (broccoli, snow peas), and so we don't weed them anymore either.

2.  The tomatoes are in full bloom, and we cannot keep up with them.  Same goes for the peppers.

3.  The first batch of corn has been frozen, but we are waiting on the second batch, so we have different heights of corn in the garden as well.

All of this to say, the garden is no longer pretty to take pictures of anymore.

But the products of this garden are BEAUTIFUL!!

We've had roasted peppers, corn on the cob, green beans, fresh salsa, and I haven't had to buy an onion from the grocery for weeks.  I tried to make a new recipe, trying to replicate the Harry & David's sweet pepper relish.  It tastes good, but it is way too runny, so I'm a little disappointed about it.  But something I am not disappointed about is this:




Homemade spaghetti sauce.  It was pretty easy, since I kind of cheated and bought a spice packet, but it tastes really good and can be frozen or canned.  I tried both methods to see if there is any difference is taste.  David said we should have tons and tons of tomatoes, so I'm trying to come up with other ideas.  I know canning salsa is on the list, and maybe some more spaghetti sauce.  Who knows?

No comments: