Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Parenting Frustrations

I'm not sure what the exact purpose of my blog is.  Sometimes I share funny stories.  Sometimes I write about what I'm reading/studying/learning.  Sometimes I have pictures and reflections about my kids and husband.  Sometimes I just put something on here that's on my mind.

Rarely do I write something like this, but it's what's going on, and if anyone else out there feels this way, I want them to know they are not alone.

I am a frustrated parent. 

Not always, and not for long periods of time, but right now I am incredibly frustrated with my son. We are having daily issues right now with sharing.  I thought this was something kids learned a lot earlier than 5, but apparently not with him.  Today he had a meltdown because I let his sister color in one of his coloring books.  ONE PAGE!!  And he wouldn't let it go!  He was still talking about it several hours later.  He kept saying, "But I'll never get to color on that exact page again!"  I just wanted to scream. (Okay, I'll confess there was a little screaming.  Don't judge too harshly.)

We are at this point where David and I as parents have to figure out how to help Noel learn to share and not be so attached to his things.  And as I sit and think about it, I can't help but realize that God is trying to do the same thing with all of us.

Sure, it's not a coloring book page, but what is money, afterall?  a piece of paper? 

How tightly am I holding on to the "stuff of this earth" (as Rich Mullins would have said) and missing out of so much of what God wants to offer me?  To I hold too tightly to comfort?  to security?  to conformity? 

How can I expect Noel to let go and trust me when I can't let go and trust the One who made me to take care of it all? 

Thoughts?  Comments?  Please share.

No comments: