Over the course of the last few years I have come to notice something. It seems that with social media, reality shows, and over-sharing, there is little discretion left. (NOTE: The irony that I am sharing this on the WORLD WIDE WEB via MY BLOG is not lost on me either).
Case in point: retail sales.
I was at Sam's Club the other day with my daughter. I went to find a check-out lane, and saw that there was only one open. It had a long line, but whatever. The cashier working that lane looked ticked. When the manager came over, he asked where _______ was (the other cashier who was supposed to be working lane #4) and loud enough so I could hear it (3 people and Sam's Club carts back) said, "She's in the bathroom, AGAIN!"
As it came time for me to check out, the girl comes back and proceeds to have a conversation with my cashier about some medical issue she is having that necessitates going to the bathroom often. And I just kept thinking, "Are these people the least bit concerned that everyone can hear this?" "Do we all want to know about cashier #4's medical/bathroom issues?
And this is not a one time occurance. I feel like every time I am at a store, I hear the employees complaining loudly about one of the following:
a)another employee who is not doing his/her job so they have to work harder
b)not feeling good (my personal favorite)
c)how many hours they have worked
d)how many hours left to go before they get off work
Now, please don't think I am bashing these workers at all. I've just noticed that nobody seems to have any sense of what you share with customers and what you don't.
Except Chik-Fil-A workers. My word, I don't know where they get these workers and how they keep them motivated, but they seem like they would be there even if they wouldn't get paid.
Now, I will say that we as consumers are just as bad. We talk on our cell phones or text straight through our transaction. We don't even tell the cashiers hi. We make huge deals about having to wait a whole (gasp) FIVE MINUTES in line before getting to the register.
COME ON, PEOPLE! Let's get it together and be kind to one another!
And if you're having a bathroom issue, please don't let me know.
Let the Chik-Fil-A worker know. She'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to cover your shift.
3 comments:
oh my goodness....this is great!! I have often commented on the way out the door of a store that I must have an "I am a counselor" sign somewhere...
Thanks for sharing!!
Bruce and I love Chik-Fil-A! their food is great, but the service is seriously awesome! I love how nice they are and how they seem to be enjoying their job even if it is a fast food restaurant. And I also agree that saying hi to the cashier, and just asking them how their day is going is a simple act of kindness I do not do enough! Just treating people like human beings and showing them you care can go a long way!
I just wish we had a Chik-Fil-A closer. Maybe I don't. I'd probably go there every day :) How are you, Brett??
Post a Comment