Monday, August 15, 2011

Tomatoes in my dreams

This weekend was filled with tomatoes, tomatoes, some peppers, and more tomatoes!  I spent most of the day Saturday playing with tomatoes.  I used to be scared of canning things, but over the last few years I have grown to enjoy it.  I just do the water-bath canning (where you put the jars in boiling water for a certain amount of time) not the pressure-cooker canning (I think I'd blow up the kitchen), but it is really a neat way to preserve your garden treasures or what you buy at the roadside stand or what your friends give you from their garden.

 First, I made salsa.  I decided to try a few jars with a salsa mix instead of using all of the onions and peppers from the garden.  It was tons easier, and tasted really good.  I added a few hot peppers, since the salsa mix was labeled "mild", but other than that it was just tomatoes and the mix.  It almost makes me excited for winter so we can bust out a jar of this.  Almost.


I also made spaghetti sauce.  I found this gem of spices that makes spaghetti sauce out of your tomatoes, and it is really easy and delicious.  Also, you have the option of freezing or canning the sauce once you make it.  I tried both to see if there was any difference in the flavor. 

Another thing I tried was making homemade tomato juice.  We borrowed a friend's Saucemaster.  Yes, it's called a Saucemaster.  (Sidenote:  Can I please get a cool nickname like Saucemaster? )  We used the rest of the tomatoes, plus the juice leftover from all of the salsa to give it a little kick.  For the record, using the Saucemaster is super fun and super messy.  Also for the record:  I do not like tomato juice at all.  This was strictly for David and maybe a bowl of vegetable soup or two, so you know that means I love him.

Hope you are enjoying all of the beautiful summer produce!  What are you doing with it?

No comments: