Monday, February 20, 2012

Plan B

My Valentine's gift was supposed to be a night out to Indy with David.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

We had two sick kids from  Thursday night until Saturday morning.  And while they were feeling tons better on Saturday, I didn't want to risk having someone else watch them and leave town.

Enter Plan B.


I decided since we couldn't go out, I would try and make something special for us to eat.  These are Soba noodles, which are made from buckwheat.  I found them on clearance at Meijer and did some research on Pinterest.  You cook them just like any other noodle, and then rinse under cold water.  You can eat them hot or cold, and they are usually used in Chinese/Asian cooking.


Once I cooked the noodles up, I mixed a little sauce for them of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil (forgot to add to the picture), and green onions.  I also stirred in some rotisserie chicken to add a little bulk to the meal.

Mix it all up and add some toasted sesame seeds.

The result?

Really good.  This was one of the best "new food" tries we have had so far.  David went to the local chinese take-out place nearby and bought some eggrolls to go along with the noodles, and I steamed some asparagus as well.

And while it wasn't the same as going out on the town with the hubby for Valentine's, it was a welcome relief from sick kids and working late.

Who knew Soba noodles could be so romantic?

No comments: