Monday, February 27, 2012

Turnip the Music

I hope you all are sick of my food puns.  Sorry, I just can't help it.  And I'm just not very creative with blog titles.

Anyway, as you can guess from the title, this week's new food is the turnip.


This is what a turnip looks like.  I hear that turnip greens are really good for you.  The turnip has some vitamin C, and I think it's lower in carbs than the potato, but nothing crazy nutritious.  I tried to find a recipe for turnips, but I didn't have all of the ingredients for any of them.  I did find a recipe for turnip fries.  And although I've already made parsnip fries, I decided to go for it.


First step is to peel the turnip.




Then cut the turnips into fries.  Drizzle with a little oil.


Put them on a pan that has been covered in foil and sprayed with Pam (or the Meijer equivalent of Pam).  Mix  together a couple of tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic salt, onion powder, and paprika.


Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.

The verdict?  Really good!  I'm so glad I didn't go with something different, because these were much better than the parsnips.  They had good flavor and were just the right texture.  We ate them all, so I would consider this adventure a success.

Now it's onto something new!  Any suggestions?

No comments: