God has plans.
Big plans.
Did you know that?
Do you believe it?
I say I do, but sometimes I forget. And then God reminds me in ways that pretty much blow my mind, and I am stunned and thankful and humbled.
Let me back up, oh, 17 years. My first year of college was almost over, and everyone at Lincoln Christian College (now University) went on one of the many missions trips that was scheduled. For some reason, I ended up with almost all seniors on a trip to Jamaica.
It was a trip that affected me for many reasons. It was my first airplane ride. My first experience with cross-cultural ministry. My first time seeing true poverty. I left a changed person.
Another way the trip affected me is that I made some friends who are still my friends all of these years later. They live all over the map, and it has been so cool, thanks to Facebook, to reconnect with several of them.
Two of these people are Hank and Julie. They were engaged at the time of our trip, and I didn't really know them very well before the trip. Just in the short time I spent with them, I saw their love for God and also their incredible love for children. I still remember one little Jamaican boy from the church we were working with completely in love with them. I don't think he let go of them the entire time we were there. I also remember thinking, "These two are going to be great parents."
Fast forward to 2010. I went with a group from our church to Haiti. I've written lots and lots about Haiti, but the important point here is that I made yet another friend: Ginny. She still lives and works in Haiti, although now it's in Port-au-Prince and with a different mission. But we still keep in touch and have tried to help her on different occasions (Like with Nadine). About a month ago, she sent out an email about a little boy named Noah who needs to come to the U.S. to have a corneal transplant. It is all set up to take place in Boston, but they need a host family to take care of him while he is recovering.
Through the wonders of the internet, I knew that Hank and Julie, along with their daughters, lead a church in Boston. I sent them an email, hoping that they would know someone in the area who could help Noah.
Long story short (too late): Noah is going to be staying with Hank and Julie. Julie just sent me an e-mail explaining all of the cool ways God has worked to put this all together, including lots of people from their church.
So, to re-cap, two different missions trips, two sets of friends, two decades apart, all came together to help bring about sight for a little boy in Haiti. You can't tell me that God didn't have a plan.
Does God need me? Nope.
Does God love to let me be a part of His plans? Absolutely.
I know this post is long. If you've read it all, I applaud you. I just couldn't help sharing that God works in ways we might not ever understand, and it's amazing when we get to see just a glimpse of it.
Keep looking. . .
1 comment:
You allow Him to use you in amazing ways and you are such a pro-active Christian, not just a "pew-warmer"!
Thanks for being the link in a chain connecting a child in Haiti and a family in Boston.
Post a Comment