Sometimes giving thanks is easy. Sometimes I can rattle off 20 things I am thankful for.
But sometimes it's hard.
Sometimes expectations lead to disappointment. I'll be honest on this blog (for all 4 of you who read this) and admit that I am going through kind of a rough spell. Life is kind of a struggle right now, and I am lonely. In a life filled with questions from a 5 year-old and chatter from an almost 3 year-old you would think what I want is some peace and quiet. And believe me, I do. But more often than not, what I want is conversation. Good conversation. The kind where there might be laughter and tears in the same few moments. The kind where you haven't looked at the clock because the time doesn't matter right now. I'm missing that right now.
I say all of this not so you feel sorry for me. Not in the least. I live a very blessed life, and I try every day not to take what I have been given for granted. But I say all of that to confess that sometimes it is difficult to give thanks. Last Thursday I didn't want to give thanks. I was busy and a little ragged and, if I'm being honest with myself, full of self-pity. So I didn't post what I was thankful for. And that nasty attitude has continued through tonight. I was reminded tonight that giving thanks doesn't mean everything is wonderful. Giving thanks is seeking God's blessings and finding it in the midst of hard time.
And so this list of thanksgivings is going to be a little different, because it's going to be truths from the Bible. I hope these truths speak to you like they continue to speak to me.
Today, I am thankful. . .
471. that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)
472. for the comfort of the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5)
473. for God's forgiveness (Matthew 26:28)
474. for God's promises that I can hang onto (2 Peter 1:4)
475. for music to praise Him (Psalm 69:30)
476. for God's unending love. (Psalm 107)
477. that I am not a slave to sin anymore! (Romans 6:17)
478. for examples of faithfulness I see in others. (Ephesians 1:15)
479. for answered prayers (Philippians 4:6-7)
480. that no matter what, I am God's child, and I can place my value in that (Colossians 1:12)
What are you thankful for?
No comments:
Post a Comment