Monday, June 18, 2012

just a tree

If you know me, you have probably heard me talk about Donald Miller.  Waaaaaaay back in the day (maybe 1999??  2000?) I was strolling around Barnes and Noble, and I found this book:



I had never heard of Donald Miller before, but I bought it.

It was amazing.

The book chronicled Miller's journey from Texas to the Northeast in search of who God is and what His direction for Don's life was.  (fyi, he later re-published the book under a different title, if you're looking for it.)
The book spoke to me, probably because I was going through some of the same experiences Don was (not the Volkswagen, though).  I ended up emailing him, and he was such a nobody at the time that we actually wrote back and forth several times.  Thus began my Donald Miller following.


You may know Donald from this little ditty he wrote:







Anyway. . .


I have this money-saving policy that I will not buy books if I can borrow them from the library or someone I know.  I have been trying to get Don's book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" ever since it came out (something like 2 years ago).  When David won a Kindle Fire from work, I finally broke down and bought the book.




And I must say that it was worth all four dollars and ninety-nine cents that I spent on it.


The premise of the book, in a nutshell, is that each of us is living a story.  What kind of story are you living?  What is the purpose of your story?  How are you fulfilling God's plan in your life?


Donald writes with such transparency and candidness that you can't help but love him.  He shares his faults, but not in a self-depricating way, and his successes, but not in a braggy voice.  As I read this, I am inspired to live every day more fully.  Each day I have been given is a gift, not to be wasted.


Two of the biggest lessons in the book for me, personally were:

#1--When you read a story/watch a movie, the times where the character grows the most is through conflict.  We seem to understand that, but we don't seem to apply that to our own lives

#2--I am a tree, and the story is about the forest, not one tree.  How can I live so that the story isn't about me, but about my maker?

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it.  And if you've read it, please let me know what you thought.



3 comments:

Taking Heart said...

My friend Marianne dragged me 3 hours from our cozy Hoosier town to this mega church in the middle of no where to hear Don Miller speak. Ironically I had copies of his books (still do) and have not read them. Not one. Isn't that strange that I just look at them, know they are like cereal boxes with a big surprise inside!

Anyhoo, There we were front row. Watching his opening Susan Isaacs. A lady I had blogged and tweeted back and forth with... LOVED HER. After the intermission... we went out to meet her... she signed my book, Angry Conversations with
God, and we proceeded to talk all the way through Don's talk. I even confided in her that Don unfollowed me on twitter... so surely he must think I was a stalker. Susan & I still joke to this day about that. I'm no stalker... but always a good laugh.

Maybe I'll pull those books off of the shelf and dust them off.

Great post.
TH

Beth said...

Thanks! Read the books! And, p.s. I Susan Isaac's is great,too.

Beth said...

Thanks! Read the books! And, p.s. I Susan Isaac's is great,too.