In two days, I will be sending David off, with about 25 other people, to work in Haiti for a little over a week. They are going to Peredo, where I went two years ago.
To say that I am jealous is an understatement.
I feel a connection to the people of Peredo. My heart aches for them in their pains and rejoices with them in their successes. Choosing not to go so that David can go is really hard.
BUT
I am so excited for David, and that helps.
Sometimes we are asked to serve in a tangible way that is very rewarding. Those are the fun times, the times you write blog posts about and take pictures of.
But sometimes God asks you to do something else so it frees others up to serve. I am a very hands-on person. I like to get in there and do stuff. So it has been a struggle at times, having 2 small children, to turn down opportunities that I used to love to do, like going to church camp or CIY. But God has really changed my heart to understand a couple of things. One is that my service is staying here and being with my children so David can go to Haiti. Another is to serve by praying, which I'm not so good at.
I have learned that service isn't always what you think it's going to be, but that's just the point about life: it's not about ME. In fact, it's not about the group going to Haiti. It's about sharing God's love everywhere we go, every day, in big ways, yes, but also in small ways.
And so, my summer adventure may look different than it did a few years ago, but it is still that. As any mom can tell you, taking kids to a city pool, a parade, or even down the street can be an adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment