Friday, June 22, 2012

Thank you for the rain

Because of the craziness of this summer (I need a routine!) I have forgotten to post my "Thankful Thursday" thank yous.  It's been kind of an disappointing week.  Last week, we thought we had found the house of our dreams.  This week we found out that the house has some septic issues that may or may not be a deal breaker.

I was really disappointed about it last night.

I had already pictured our family in the house, I was already planning out where the kids would play, and how we would have dinners on the deck out back, and all of that is now in limbo.

As I started to unpack my feelings this morning, I realized that what I am more upset sad about is that we have been in a state of uncertainty for months, and I am not comfortable with uncertainty.  I like to have a plan.  I like to know what we are doing, where we are going, etc. I had just breathed that big sigh of relief, thinking, "NOW we can relax." And realizing that we are back on roller coaster was discouraging.

In reality, life is never certain.  We never know what each day, hour, or minute will hold.  I know there is a reason for everything.  I also know that what our house looks like is small potatoes compared with so many more things in life.  This is a chance for me to have faith and trust that God is working for the good of those who believe.

Last night, we had planned to take the kids to the park for a running program they go to every Thursday.  About 30 minutes before we were going to leave, the sky got dark.  The wind started blowing.  It started sprinkling.  And then we had ourselves a nice little rainstorm.  The kids could have chosen to be upset about missing the races and going to the park.  But instead, we all sat on the front porch swing and watched the storm.  We laughed as the wind blew the rain onto our legs.  And we REALLY laughed when David went out to unclog a gutter and got drenched.

Why can't I be more like my kids?  Why can't I see every day as an adventure to be had instead of a plan that needs to be followed through?

We may end up in that house.  We may not.  But until then, it is my goal to be thankful in all circumstances.  To see the blessings of the rain.

Today I am thankful for. . .

561. family bike rides.

562. Pandora.

563. the summer reading program at the library.

564. friends with a pool who are generous enough to let us come over and swim.

565. David's upcoming trip to Haiti.

566. a washing machine.

567. fun moments with the kids.

568. good books.

569. reminders that I need to forgive and let things go.

570. rain for our thirsty plants, and rain for our thirsty souls.

What are you thankful for?


No comments: