As my trip to Haiti is getting closer, I've been having a lot of different thoughts about it. A lot of my time has been spent thinking about how my kids and husband are going to do. I'm not worried that my husband can't take care of them, I just know that a long time alone with two small kiddos can be draining. I've been working on making freezer meals, getting things organized, and raising money.
But how much have I been preparing myself mentally and spiritually for this trip? We are headed to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere with a dozen high school students to work at a church camp. Am I ready to see the devastation brought on not only by the earthquake in January, but by the years of poverty, voodoo, and corrupt government? Have I been praying for the people of Haiti? For the other members of my group?
When I think about why I signed up to go on this trip, my answers are muddled. Do I want to help with work on a clinic? Yes. Do I want to meet and encourage other Christians? Yes. Do I want to lead by example in our group? Yes. But I know there will be so much more that will challenge me, stretch my faith, disappoint my expectations, teach my narrow mind, and humble my American heart.
I have so much to give and so much to receive. May I be open to both of those on this journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment