Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Incomplete

Okay, so I finished the first part of my homework assignment, but failed to complete the last question our minister gave us: What is one thing you would like to change about yourself?

This is kind of a toughie, and not because there isn't anything to change about me. Quite the opposite. When I start thinking about areas of my life that I need to work on, I tend to get on the pity-party wagon and beat myself up. "I'm not ________, I'm too _________, I don't _________ enough. . ." I could do it all day. However, because I know I'm prone to do that, sometimes I don't take the effort to truly evaluate where my real weaknesses are that need to be addressed.

So, I said all of this to say: I need to work on not being so critical -- of others and myself.

I need to spend time encouraging and uplifting those around me, with words and with actions. I need to think about what I say before I say it, and keep my comments about people to a minimum. I've struggled with this for as long as I can remember. It's the same old motivation we all have: if I think about what's wrong with someone/something else, it makes me feel better about myself.

ie. "I might be ______________, but at least I didn't ____________, like _________."

It's a mean, critical attitude, and I need to ask God to help me with it.

Okay, I've completed my assignment.

Sigh.

Now, I feel better. Or worse. Or both.

No comments: