Monday, May 10, 2010

Homework


Our minister talked about marriage yesterday, and he gave us homework. He asked us to come up with four things that we love about our spouse and one thing we'd like to change about ourselves. So, being the good student that I've always been (ha!), I will share a little of what I came up with.


Four things I love about David:


1. He has amazing patience. I guess anyone who could put up with me (and my family) must have patience, but he is so good about not getting frustrated with me or the kids. At night, David says prayers with Noel (Noel says he's better at it), and they lay in bed and just talk about the day. Instead of trying to hurry up the conversation so he can get on with his evening, David patiently asks Noel all kinds of questions and answers any of Noel's. I love him for this.


2. He is wise. I know that sounds kind of weird, but I don't just mean smart (which he is as well). Unlike me, David has the ability to calmly think through situations before making decisions. He weighs the options, considers the possibilities, and then acts. And guess which one of us a)makes better decisions and b)does less apologizing for things that shouldn't have been said?? Not him.


3. He's a great husband and father. From the time he steps in the door after work until both kids are in bed, David is a hands-on, active dad. He doesn't just go do whatever he wants, he invests in the kids, and it shows. They are excited to see him when he leaves, and sad to see him go. He knows just as much about their schedule, their likes/dislikes, their personalities, etc. as I do. It's so comforting to have a partner in this thing called parenthood.


4. He makes me laugh. I don't know how couples survive without the gift of humor and laughter. I can't tell you the number of times that I've been about to cry about something and David knows just how to lighten the mood and help me realize that whatever "catastrophe" we are in the middle of will pass, and that God is still in control, not me. He keeps perpective of what's important, and what we can laugh about. I won't give away all of his secrets, but he's got a few tricks up his sleeve.
So, there you have it--four of the many things I love about my husband. I want to pass this challenge along to you--share with your spouse what you love about them! Who doesn't want to hear that?

2 comments:

Brian & Ashley said...

Beth - I love this posting. How sweet! I hope Dave read it, too. Things I love about Brian: 1. He is very loving and shows me on a daily basis. 2. He is great at encouraging. He really has a way to help people see the bright side of a situation -"encourage one another on toward love and good deeds" 3. He is a great listener and friend. 4. He makes me laugh. Sometimes he really catches me off guard.

Beth said...

Thanks, Ashley. Yeah, David read it. He wrote one for me too, just on paper :)
And you're right--Brian is a positive guy and a positively funny guy. We laugh a lot thinking of some B.C Raw memories! Ha!

So glad you are back safe and sound. David said he went to the Eagle's Nest, too. Said it was a rough trip up and back because of the switchbacks.